ADN priority applications must be submitted by January 6, 2014.
Applications are available in the Career & Advising Office only.
Application deadline for priority consideration is Jan 6th.
- LPN with a current license who has worked for at least 6 of the last 12 months as an LPN.
- Completion of all general education classes within the last four years.
- Successful completion of NUR 203 and NUR 295 with a grade of “C” or above prior to beginning the fall semester.
1. A minimum GPA of 2.7 in each of the following areas:
- Science/Support courses-BIO 101,BIO 275,BIO 276,BIO 293 and MAT 102* *Students may substitute Statistics or Technical Math.
- All college level courses taken at any institution
For consideration to the ADN program, complete the following steps:
1. Complete the JWCC Application for Admission and return to the Admissions Office. If you are currently enrolled at JWCC, you need to update your application to reflect pre-Associate Degree Nursing (HADN) or Health Services (HLSR) program status. Admission to the College does not guarantee admission to the program.
2. Contact the JWCC admissions office assistant at 217-641-4337 to register for a new student orientation and to schedule the college admission assessment (COMPASS) test. If you are a current JWCC student and have already completed orientation you will NOT need to attend another one.
3. Request official transcripts from each academic institution in which you have previously been enrolled (high school and other college(s)). A GED certificate is acceptable in lieu of high school transcripts. This is a requirement for admission to the college and to receive financial aid. If you have attended another college prior to attending John Wood, your official transcripts will be evaluated and appropriate credits will be posted towards your degree. (Transfer credits will depend on the applicability of the course and the grade earned.)
4. After the new student orientation and all of the above steps are completed, make an appointment to meet with an academic advisor to review testing scores and register for appropriate classes. Depending on COMPASS scores, there may be additional coursework to compete that is not listed on the criteria sheet.
5. Complete the Nursing Program Application once admission criteria is met and return to the Career and Advising Office located on the first floor of the Student Administrative Building.
Steps 1-5 must be completed by January 6th to be eligible for the admission to the next class. It is your responsibility to make sure that all application information arrives at JWCC by the application deadline. Eligibility for admission to the ADN program does not guarantee that you will be admitted to the next available class. You will be notified of admission decisions in April. The ADN Curriculum Planning Worksheet lists the required General Education Requirements.
After admission into the nursing program, you will be required to show that the following are current: required immunizations, TB test, CPR (AHA Healthcare Provider), and physical exam indicating that you are physically able to perform the required skills. Nursing requires that you can perform several functions requiring lifting, bending and other physical activities. Additionally, you will be required to have a criminal background check and urine drug screen 30 days prior to beginning clinical.
If you have any questions regarding the information provided or the ADN program in general, please feel free to contact the admissions office at 217-641-4314 or 641-4338.