Surgical Technology Certificate Admission Requirements
Admission to the Surgical Technology certificate program is limited for each class. Admission to the College does not guarantee that the student will be admitted to the Surgical Technology certificate program. A grade of "C" or higher in the prerequisites and any required general education courses (if taken) is necessary to be considered for the Surgical Technology Certificate Program. Admission decisions are made based on points awarded for the number of program courses completed, GPA earned in those courses, and interview score. Student selection is made each spring in May and classes begin in August. Application deadline is April 15, 2013.
The following provides information on the process required for admission. Please use it as a checklist to monitor your progress through the admission process.
- Complete the JWCC Application for Admission and complete the admissions process.
- Complete and return Surgical Technology Certificate Program Application form to the Admissions Office by April 15, 2013.
- Complete BIO 293 Microbiology with a grade of "C" or higher before start of program in August.
- Be able to demonstrate specific physical expectations according to program guidelines. (Refer to physical requirements tab)
All students accepted into the program must submit completed physical and immunization forms to the health sciences office prior to the beginning of the first semester. A CPR recognition card (Healthcare Provider Heart Association), a criminal background check and drug testing are also required.
Applicants successfully completing the above will be scheduled for an interview with the Surgical Technology Admissions Committee and attend a three (3) hour surgical observation.
Surgical Technology AAS Degree Admission Requirements
Admission into the degree program requires submission of Surgical Technology AAS Degree application and a current certification from the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA).
The following process is required for admission.
- If not a current student- complete the JWCC Application for Admission and return it to the Admission Office.
- Complete and return Surgical Technology AAS Degree Application form to the Admissions Office by April 15, 2013.
- Attach a copy of NBSTSA certification card to application.