This program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Programs (CAAHP).
You will learn theory and technique in the classroom and lab and participate in surgical procedures in the clinical portion of the program. A surgical technologist functions as an integral part of the surgical team.
Surgical technologists :
- Apply principles of disinfection and sterilization to the surgical environment, equipment, and instrumentation.
- Apply principles of aseptic technique in the surgical environment.
- Prepare the operating room by gathering equipment and supplies.
- Provide a safe, efficient, and supportive environment for the peri-operative patient.
- Anticipate the sequence of events during surgical procedures.
- Function as an ethical, legal, and moral member of the healthcare team within the surgical technologist’s scope of practice.
Graduates of the Surgical Technology certificate program are required to take the Surgical Technology National Certification Exam administered by the National Board of Surgical Technologist and Surgical Assistants. (NBSTSA)
Gainful Employment: For more information about graduation rates, cost, the median debt of students who complete the program, and other information, please visit our website at jwcc.edu/gainfulemployment.
Associate in Applied Science Degree
The degree track is a professional based educational cornerstone of growth and development within the surgical technology profession. The surgical technology degree can advance a surgical technologist to the next level in the professional career ladder and offers employment opportunities as a surgical technology instructor, director, hospital materials manager or surgical sales representative.
Information on gainful employment opportunities upon completion of a program of study is available by clicking here.