Surgical Technology Certificate Program Admissions Information
Thank you for your interest in the John Wood Community College Surgical Technology certificate program. Admission to the Surgical Technology program is limited for each class. Admission to the College does not guarantee that the student will be admitted to the Surgical Technology certificate program. A 2.0 GPA in the prerequisites and any required general education courses (if taken) is necessary to be considered for the Surgical Technology certificate program. Admission decisions to the program are made based on points awarded for the number of program general education courses completed, grades earned in those courses, interview score, and surgery observation score. (Once the interview process is complete, a minimum score of 22 is required to be eligible to attend a surgery observation.) Application deadline is April 15, 2016. Late applications will not be accepted.
The following provides information on criteria and the process required for admission. Please use it as a checklist to monitor your progress through the admission process.
- Complete the JWCC Application for Admission and complete the admissions process which includes requesting official transcripts from each institution in which you have previously been enrolled.
- Complete and return Surgical Technology Certificate Program Application form to the Admissions Office by April 15, 2016.
- Complete BIO 293 Microbiology and OFT 281 Medical Terminology with a grade of "C" or higher.
- Be able to demonstrate specific physical expectations according to program guidelines. (Refer to physical requirements tab)
Applicants successfully completing the above will be scheduled for an interview with the Surgical Technology Admissions Committee and attend a three (3) hour surgical observation.
All students accepted into the program must submit completed physical and immunization forms to the health sciences office prior to the beginning of the first semester. A CPR recognition card (Healthcare Provider Heart Association), a criminal background check and drug testing are also required prior to beginning the first semester.
Surgical Technology AAS Degree Admission Requirements
Admission into the degree program requires submission of Surgical Technology AAS Degree application and a current certification from the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA).
The following process is required for admission.
- If not a current student- complete the JWCC Application for Admission and return it to the Admission Office.
- Complete and return Surgical Technology AAS Degree Application form to the Admissions Office by April 15, 2016.
- Attach a copy of NBSTSA certification card to application.