Students entering the surgical technology curriculum must be able to demonstrate the following physical standards:
1. Strength and Flexibility – Student must:
- Be able to stand, bend, and stoop, sit and walk without assistive devices within a confined area for prolonged periods of time, up to 4 to 7 hours.
- Be able to function without nourishment or medication for an extended period of time.
- Be able to lift, move, position and manipulate a patient who is unconscious; may be required to independently lift 26-50 pounds.
2. Manual Dexterity - Student must:
- Demonstrate threading a needle with either hand, manipulate instruments, supplies, and equipment with speed, dexterity, and good eye-hand coordination.
3. Vision – Student must:
- Requires 20/20 corrected vision.
- Requires normal color discrimination.
4. Hearing – Student must:
- Hear and understand muffled communication.
- Hear normal speaking at 3 feet.
5. Other Standards – Student must:
- Have the ability to remain alert and conscious at all times.
- Have the ability to smell.
- Have the ability to adapt to temperature variations.
- Tolerate moderate x-ray exposure.