The following are a few of the current or ongoing volunteer opportunities. If you are interested in a specific opportunity or don't see an opportunity that interests, you please call the RSVP office at 217-641-4961. We will discuss your skills and interests and try to find a match for you.
- Need for volunteers interested in participating in our court watch program in Adams County. The purpose of the program is to compile data on how domestic violence, sexual assault, and stalking cases are handled in civil court. Specifically, we need volunteers to observe and take notes in plenary protection order hearings. Training requirements include three hours of orientation on the civil protection order process. Contact Quanada’s volunteer coordinator, Belinda Cullo, at email@example.com or 217-222-0069 for further information.
- Volunteer hosts are needed. Duties include greeting and helping visitors, collecting admissions for tours and handling souvenir sales. A full orientation program is provided. They are flexible, so volunteers can work whenever they are available. Anyone interested please call 224-6922 or 224-3688.
Senior Center- Meals on Wheels:
- MOW is in great need of drivers to fill all of their many slots once a week or more, or once a month, or as a substitute. It takes about an hour. A great way to learn more about the community and serve the community. We encourage you to deliver with a friend – one person drives, one person delivers. You can visit with your friend while you deliver! If you aren’t able to deliver – please mention it at your church or other organization. Together we can fill the needed slots. Call 217-223-7904 for more information or to volunteer.
The Quincy Museum:
- Volunteers are needed at the front desk greeting and providing tours for guests (Tuesday-Sunday 1pm-5pm)
- Special events such as the annual Car Show and Folk Life, which is in October this year. Various shifts and days are available, making it an opportunity that can fit into anyone’s schedule.
- Volunteers are also needed to teach their educational classes.
Homeward Bound Waggin:
- New Adoption Center opened in the Quincy Mall on Sat, July 13th at 10am. They are looking for volunteers to help out in the Adoption Center on Saturdays. Several people that donate a minimum of 2 hours one Saturday a month are needed.
- Help is needed in 2 hour shifts at their building. Morning shift is 8am-10am and evening shift is 6pm to 8pm. Volunteers will walk dogs, clean dog kennels, feed dogs, clean cat cages, laundry, sweep and mop. They have no paid staff so volunteers do it all.
- GI Surgery Center – Discharges patients and light paperwork. This is a busy, active, social role for a professional volunteer who is very dependable. Tuesday 12– 4pm or Wednesday 8am-12pm.
- Hospice Volunteers – A wide variety of volunteer jobs are available. Including office support, patient care, special events.
° Tuck in Calls: Making calls to patients and possible caregivers on Monday and Thursday. Calls are made from their 936 Broadway office. Questions are provided to volunteer to ask their patients to assist the staff in providing quality of care to their patients.
° Patient Care in Adams County: Patient care can involve the following: Visiting with Patients ~ This may include sitting at the bedside simply listening and talking with the patient, or assisting with life review. Respite Care ~ This allows caregivers to attend their own appointments, run errands or simply to just rest. Volunteers are able to provide other various tasks that would benefit the caregiver.
° B.E.S.T. -Bedside Emotional Support: This is available for patients without family present at the actively dying phase. This service is provided in Adams County only. They are currently looking for a lead volunteer. The lead volunteer works with other volunteers in assignment of the vigils.
° Administration: Clerical assistance, phones, and data entry.
° Special Events: Memorial Service –usually held in May. Other events TBA
All volunteers will need to complete an orientation process. This all begins once a person submits an application. You can also go to Blessing Health System web page and submit an application. Contact Cindy Grawe at 228-5521 if interested.
- Patient Flower Courier– Delivers flowers, e-greetings and letters to patients. This position also involves periodic paperwork. Friday 1:30pm -4pm.
- ICU or Surgery Waiting Room – Serves as host/hostess in the waiting room, answering and transferring calls from surgery staff to families for updates and post-surgery conference. Friday morning (Surgery 7am – noon; ICU – 8am - noon) or Monday (ICU 8am – noon).
- BHC West Information Desk – Help visitors locate their doctor’s office and serve as a welcoming presence at the main entrance. Monday or Fridays 10am -2pm.
If interested in any of these volunteer opportunities, please contact our office (217)641-4961.