JOB SUMMARY: Oversees and manages the kitchen operations and staff. Responsible for creating menus, ordering food, maintaining a safe, clean kitchen, and providing menu choices to suit a wide variety of members. Instill a positive work culture in the kitchen that creates a cohesive team and promotes growth and improvement in the dining experience for our members and guests. Jacksonville Country Club hosts numerous golf events, private parties and weddings throughout the year in which the head chef must cater to.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for all food production in dining areas and events.
- Develop, cost, and implement new menus. Menu planning requires creativity to meet current dining trends, while also offering traditional menu items in order to meet the various demands of the membership.
- Control food and labor costs. Complete monthly food inventory.
- Complete information in a timely manner for monthly club newsletter.
- Maintain the highest food quality and sanitation standards.
- Must lead by example while managing, motivating, and leading kitchen staff. Treats all staff with respect and dignity, valuing each person for the unique strengths they bring, while also holding all staff accountable for maintaining the high standards required.
- Hires and trains all kitchen staff, with the assistance of the General Manager, to adequately meet needs of members and guests.
- Creates weekly kitchen work schedule.
- Serve as the face of the culinary operation and should be comfortable conversing and interacting with both the kitchen staff and the members/guests. Capable of interacting with a diverse membership of all ages, learning members’ names and dining preferences. Must engage with the membership by walking through the dining rooms and being visible during special events, as well as organizing special member dining opportunities such as cooking demonstrations, wine dinners and various other types of events.
- Ability to conduct meetings, menu briefings, and maintain clear lines of communication with the General Manager, Dining Room Manager, and servers.
- Establishes controls to minimize food and supply waste and theft. Must be fiscally responsible Food order and inventory management. Maintain the budgeted monthly food cost and labor as outlined in the budget.
- Maintain a clean, healthy and fun work environment for all staff. Develop daily, weekly, and monthly sanitary processes for all surfaces, coolers, and kitchen equipment.
- Provide a safe environment for kitchen staff and wait staff. Train kitchen staff regarding safety, hazardous materials, and sanitation and accident prevention principles. Trains and ensures kitchen staff is adhering to compliance with licensing, hygiene and health and safety guidelines.
- Ensure all kitchen staff meet and adhere to appropriate dress code, especially when in front of guests and members
- Approaches all encounters with members and guests in a friendly, service-oriented manner.
- Supervises clearing and post function cleanup and garbage removal.
- Maintains clean and orderly kitchen and storage areas; areas are to be visibly appealing to members and guests.
- Attend meetings/trainings as required.
- Accurately perform administrative tasks as required.
- Other duties as assigned such as clubhouse equipment and maintenance items.
- Have a culinary arts degree from an accredited school is preferred
- Past supervisory experience in kitchen operations
- Understanding of the private club hospitality business preferred
- Experience in fine dining and banquet settings
- Ability to speak effectively to vendors/suppliers, members, guests and club employees.
- Must be effective at listening to, understanding and clarifying concerns and issues raised by team members and guests
- Good understanding of useful computer programs (MS Office, POS, Menu software)
- Required to stand for long periods of time, walk, climb stairs, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, bend, stretch, twist and reach; work in hot, humid and noisy environment
- Daily computer work.
- Duties are performed in both indoor and outdoor settings, with some events often taking place in the elements in different seasons.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: Commensurate with experience
- Tuesday – Sunday. However there are some Monday events that are required.
JCC is open 5 days a week November through March and 6 days a week April through October.
- Head Chef: 2 years (Preferred)
- Vacation – 1 week after 1 year / 2 weeks after 3 years / 3 weeks after 10 years
- Group Health Insurance – eligible to contribute in group health insurance plan
- Paid Holidays – New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas