The Division of Mental Health is seeking to hire a licensed Registered Nurse to oversee and supervise professional and paraprofessional nursing staff in the care and treatment of forensic and behavioral management patients at the Chester Mental Health Center in Chester, Illinois. The Chester Mental Health Center is designed to provide care and treatment for all adult males in the State of Illinois who require a greater degree of structure and security. Chester Mental Health Center strives to assist patients to achieve their full recovery potential and values culture, safety, recovery, efficiency, and quality.
- Serves as Nursing Supervisor functioning as head nurse of a unit.
- Serves as full-line supervisor.
- As relief facility wide supervisor, provides input into setting nursing schedules and staffing shortages on each unit.
- Ensures compliance with nursing, facility and departmental standards, policies and procedures.
- Coordinates patient care services with other professional disciplines and staff such as physicians, therapists and dieticians.
- Prepares and administers prescribed medications to patients.
- Prepares for and serves as health/education in-service resource regarding Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR), Bloodborne Pathogens, Restraints, First Aid, Tardive Dyskinesia DISCUS, etc.
- Serves as screening nurse during admission procedures.
- Serves as a member of the medical staff.
10. Assigns a psychiatrist to perform initial psychiatric examination on all new admissions within 24 hours.
11. Provides and maintains an appointment system for general medical clinic and special nursing or medical procedures.
12. Administers and directs immunization procedures, i.e. initial and annual tuberculin skin testing.
13. Performs other duties as required or assigned which are reasonably within the scope of the duties enumerated above.
- Requires licensure as a Registered Nurse in the State of Illinois.
- Requires knowledge, skill and mental development equivalent to the completion of four (4) years of college with coursework in nursing.
- Requires prior experience equivalent to three (3) years of progressively responsible professional nursing experience in a public or business organization.
Preferred Qualification (in priority order)
- Three (3) years of professional experience supervising professional nursing staff.
- One (1) year of professional nursing experience working with individuals with mental illnesses.
- One (1) year of professional experience recommending and implementing nursing policies and procedures relative to the latest trends and nursing standards.
- Two (2) years of professional experience providing training to nursing staff relative to the latest teaching methods.
- Three (3) years of professional experience working with current diagnostic and treatment modalities for individuals with mental illnesses.
- Three (3) years of professional experience communicating with internal and external stakeholders in oral or written form relative to the care and treatment of patients.
- One (1) year of professional experience recommending or preparing nursing treatment plans for patients.
- One (1) year of professional experience administering and directing immunization procedures.
- One (1) year of professional experience performing quality assurance assessments on nursing services and treatments provided to patients in accordance with Joint Commission Standards.
- Three (3) years of professional experience preparing medical charts.
Conditions of Employment
- Ability to lift and carry moderate loads up to 50lbs and to push an emergency cart up to 100lbs with assistance.
- Ability to work after business hours, weekends, and holidays on a rotation basis.
Work Hours: Mon – Fri, 7:00am – 3:00pm, Rotates working same hours every 6th Saturday and Sunday
Division of Mental Health
Chester Mental Health Center
Nursing Services – Unit B
Work Location: 1315 Lehmen Dr Chester, IL 62233-2542