CONTROL ROOM OPERATOR MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
Applicants for appointment as Control Room Operator must:
- Must be a U.S. citizen.
- Have acquired a high school diploma or equivalent certificate.
- Must pass a thorough background investigation.
- Must pass drug testing.
- Sangamon County residency is required within six months of employment.
- Applicants must be willing to accept any assignment or shift, and work any scheduled holiday.
- Applicants must possess the moral, ethical, and work characteristics befitting the highest standards of the Sangamon County Sheriff’s Office.
The Control Room Operator is a civilian position of the Corrections Division. They are unarmed and have no direct physical contact with inmates. They closely monitor inmate activities, open and close security passages to allow movement of officers and inmates through computer control, and must be capable of quick response in emergency situations.
The Sangamon County Sheriff’s Office operates as a para-military organization. Control Room Operators report to and receive assignments, instructions, and directions from Correctional Officers, Correctional Officer Sergeants, Correctional Officer Lieutenants, Asst. Jail Superintendent, Jail Superintendent, Chief Deputy, and the Sheriff.
Control Room Operators have the general duties and responsibilities prescribed of all members of the Sheriff’s Office and such specific duties as are herein prescribed.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Control Room Operators are required to report for duty promptly, appearance and uniform conforming to the specifications of the Sangamon County Sheriff’s Office. Control Room Operators are responsible for checking their individual mailboxes for correspondence, phone messages, and notices which may need action taken.
- Control Room Operators must become thoroughly familiar and competent with the operation of the Detention Center’s control room equipment, general procedures, and emergency procedures.
- They will visually monitor the inmates and the various security systems, utilizing those systems to maintain a safe and secure environment within the detention facility.
- Maintain and update records, logs, and periodic reports of jail and inmate activities, including narrative reports, memorandum, and notes of incidents and offenses.
- Monitor and control jail visitors, including verifying identity of visitor, purpose of visit, and eligibility of inmate to receive visitors.
- Receive, document, and issue receipts for monies received for inmate funds, bond monies, fingerprinting, and taking bond fees.
How to Apply
The Sangamon County Sheriff’s Office is accepting applications for Control Room Operator positions. Anyone who is interested can pick up an application between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday at the Sangamon County Sheriff’s office, #1 Sheriff’s Plaza in Springfield or an application can be printed and filled out from the Sangamon County Sheriff Office website:
(Click on Careers link then Sheriff’s Office Employment Application). Completed applications are also accepted by mail. Applications for this position are accepted on an ongoing basis. http://.sangamoncounty-sheriff.com