Students gather at computers in the JWCC Library

Potential Instructors

Interested in Teaching a CBO class?

Thank you for your interest in Community-Based Outreach! Our goal is to serve the needs and interests of the community, and our instructors are a critical part of that mission. Anyone with personal or professional expertise in a particular subject area may be considered to teach a CBO course. The minimum educational requirement for an instructor is a high school diploma or GED.

Please contact Community-Based Outreach at 217.641.4941 or by email to talk about becoming an instructor and request a course proposal form.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is Community-Based Outreach?

JWCC Community-Based Outreach offers useful, enriching and fun noncredit courses designed for personal and professional development.  Classes are short in length, affordable and generally offered on evenings and weekends.

What does noncredit mean?

Noncredit means the classes do not carry college credit or result in a degree.

What is the format for noncredit classes?

Noncredit classes are formatted based on a variety of factors, including subject matter and instructor availability. Classes take place during the evenings and on weekends to better fit the needs of working adults and active seniors. Classes can be in lecture/discussion format, or hands on with the goal of completing a project.

How are courses marketed?

Courses are marketed in several ways. All classes finalized by the printing deadline are published in our noncredit booklet, which is mailed to all residents in the JWCC district. Courses are also marketed through social media and by email.

Can I market my own course?

CBO wants instructors to be excited about what they are doing for the community and have the most successful class possible. Instructors are encouraged to promote their course within their community, on their personal or business social media pages, and by email. We request that you do not distribute a formal press release or news statement without first contacting the CBO office.