Rights and Responsibilities of JWCC
John Wood Community College has the right to:
- identify and establish standards for courses, programs, services, activities, and facilities and to evaluate students on this basis;
- request and receive, through Disability Services, current documentation that supports requests for academic adjustment and/or auxiliary aids and services;
- require an appropriate amount of time for thorough evaluation and review of submitted documentation;
- determine whether a student is an otherwise qualified person with a disability
- deny a request for accommodations, academic adjustments, and/or auxiliary aids and services if the documentation demonstrates that the request is not warranted, or if the individual fails to provide appropriate documentation;
- select among equally effective accommodations, adjustments, and/or auxiliary aids and services;
- refuse an unreasonable accommodation, adjustment, and/or auxiliary aid or service that imposes an undue hardship on the College; that is, one which is unduly costly, extensive, substantial, disruptive, or that will fundamentally alter the nature of the program.
John Wood Community College has the responsibility to:
- ensure that courses, programs, services, activities, and facilities, when viewed in their entirety, are available and usable in the most integrated and appropriate settings;
- evaluate students on their abilities and not their disabilities;
- respond to the student as to the appropriateness of documentation within a reasonable timeframe;
- provide or arrange reasonable accommodations, academic adjustment, and/or auxiliary aids and services for students with disabilities in courses, programs, services, activities and facilities;
- maintain appropriate confidentiality of records and communication, and to disclose where permitted or required by law;
- monitor the effectiveness of any academic adjustments/accommodations.