Rights and Responsibilities of Students with Disabilities
Postsecondary students with disabilities are protected by different laws than are secondary school students. At the postsecondary level of education, there are no separate programs, classrooms, or courses for individuals with disabilities. All students attend regular classes and are subject to the same requirements.
However, the needs of students with disabilities are considered and provided for in order to furnish equal access/opportunity. JWCC complies with civil rights statutes while individually considering each student's circumstances.
As adult learners, college students with disabilities must assume responsibility for dealing with their disability issues themselves.
Students with disabilities at JWCC have the right to:
- equal access to courses, programs, services, activities and facilities offered through the college;
- an equal opportunity to learn, and to receive reasonable accommodations, academic adjustments, and/or auxiliary aids and services;
- appropriate confidentiality of all information regarding their disability and to choose to whom, outside of the college, information about their disability will be disclosed, except as disclosures are required or permitted by law;
- information, reasonably available in accessible formats.
Students with disabilities at JWCC have the responsibility to:
- meet qualifications and maintain essential institutional standards for courses, programs, services, activities, and facilities;
- identify as individuals with a disability to a JWCC staff or faculty member when an accommodation is needed;
- provide documentation verifying the disability and which demonstrates how the disability limits their participation in courses, programs, services, activities and facilities;
- seek information, counsel, and assistance as necessary from Disability Services located in the Support Services center;
- follow procedures for obtaining reasonable accommodations, academic adjustments and/or auxiliary aids and services in a timely manner.