Credit for Prior Learning
John Wood Community College recognizes that students may acquire knowledge and competencies through activities and experiences outside of John Wood’s educational offerings. Because each student has their own life experiences, all assessments for academic Credit for Prior Learning are evaluated individually to ensure a student’s specialties are compared to other students’ experiences.
A student seeking these credits must be fully admitted to the program in which the credit is being sought. A minimum of twenty-five percent of a certificate and fifty percent of a degree must be earned at the College.
Types of Prior Learning Credit:
- Military Training Credit (https://www.jwcc.edu/admissions/military-students/)
- Standardized Tests: College-Level Examination Program (CLEP), Defense Activity for Nontraditional Education Support (DANTES), Advanced Placement (AP) are just a few we will review to see if credit can be awarded. Arrangements for CLEP testing are made through the College Board website (www.collegeboard.org). For additional CLEP information, contact the JWCC Admissions Office (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- College examinations, such as institutional approved proficiency tests and performances.
- American Council on Education approved coursework, state and federal licensure that align with college program curriculum and industry recognized certifications.
- Portfolio assessment by subject matter expert in conjunction with appropriate academic administrator that demonstrate course equivalency.
- Students seeking to obtain Credit for Prior Learning should submit appropriate documentation directly to the Office of the Registrar. Submissions will be reviewed by appropriate staff or faculty members and credit will be awarded to a student’s academic record in accordance with predetermined standards, equivalencies, and cut shores.
- Appropriate fees, based on type of prior learning credit being requested must be paid prior to reviewing student submissions. Fees are non-refundable based on outcome of review.
For additional questions, please contact Registrar’s Office by emailing email@example.com.