Firefighter Minimum Requirements:
- $30.00 non-refundable application processing fee;
- Be a United States citizen;
- Have no felony convictions;
- Possess a High School Diploma (or its equivalent);
- Have not less than 60 college semester hours from a nationally accredited college/university (or its equivalent) – the following shall be deemed to be the equivalent of the number of college credits as set forth;
o Thirty (30) college semester equivalency hours for each full 12 months of non-disability service as a firefighter with another full-time, officially constituted and sanctioned fire department;
o Thirty (30) college semester equivalency hours for each full 12 months of active duty in the military service of the United States (honorable discharge). Persons who were solely reservists (without active duty) shall not be eligible to claim these credits;
o Thirty (30) college semester equivalency hours for demonstrating fluency in a language, other than English. Fluency shall mean a clearly demonstrated ability to read, write, and understand the language;
o Sixty (60) college semester equivalency hours for applicants who are certified by the State of Illinois as a Paramedic;
o Sixty (60) college semester equivalency hours for applicants who are certified by the State of Illinois, Office of the State Fire Marshal, as a Firefighter II or Basic Operations Firefighter;
- Possess a Valid Driver’s License;
- Submit proof of a valid Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) and Approved Ladder Climb card from a licensed agency before October 10, 2020 (card must be dated October 10, 2019 or later). Candidates taking the CPAT/Ladder Climb between the deadline date and the written exam date must submit all other application documents by the deadline and provide a copy of the CPAT/Ladder Climb as soon as it is obtained.
- Be 21 to under 35 years of age by the date of the application deadline (September 10, 2020), unless exempt by state statute.
How to Apply
Purchase and submit online application. Submit required documents by the application deadline of Friday, September 10th, 2020 at 4:00 pm.