Purpose of Position: To provide administrative and communication support for the pastor, staff, and the church body at the direction of the pastor
Church Purpose Statement:
Our mission is to love God and share Jesus Christ, as we support one another and serve the community.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as Administrative Assistant to the pastor and report directly to the pastor
- Maintain office confidentiality
- Work as church receptionist, provide secretarial assistance to other Vermont Street staff and committees, notify members of meetings, distribute minutes and other packet material for meetings
- Sort and distribute the mail, maintain files for church office and the pastor, answer phone calls and direct calls or messages to the appropriate person
- Update and maintain electronic membership files on database as well as condensed copies of church roster for use by membership, includes updating records re: deaths, new members, births, baptisms, requests for transfer
- Send congregation mass emails, complete bulk mailings, prepare forms and mailing labels
- Work cooperatively with the Business Manager in administrative needs related to finance and building
- Edit and prepare weekly online newsletter, send out hard copies for those who need it
- Prepare and reproduce church bulletins, both regular and special
- Be responsible for the issuance and return of church keys
- Maintain master church calendar and website calendar
- Schedule non-church events to be held at the church
- Coordinate the purchase of office supplies/machines, pantry supplies
- Send reminders to those assisting in worship service (stewards, ushers, greeters)
- Maintain birthday and anniversary lists
- Attend staff meetings as required to participate in collaborative planning
- Establish, maintain, and update our online presence, including the church website, Facebook page, and YouTube channel, working with and assisting other staff people
- Prepare presentations for online and in-house projection for Sunday worship services and other special services/church events
- Maintain Sunday School Attendance rosters
- Clear with the pastor when it is necessary to be away from any duties
- Assume other duties as assigned.
- An appreciation of Christianity and United Methodist theology
- Competency with Windows, Office software, Desktop Publishing
- Competency with, or ability to learn ProPresenter 7 and Realm database software
- Competency as in typing
- Ability to compose, edit, and circulate news articles and notices
- Skill in working with people and using a collaborative management style
Satisfactory Outcome Measurement:
The Communications/Administrative Assistant represents VSUMC and must reflect the mission of the United Methodist Church and the Christian faith to the public and the congregation. He/she will not knowingly impair that mission in any way. The Communications/Administrative Assistant is responsible for completing the above specified responsibilities effectively and in a timely manner. This will include a formal annual evaluation by the pastor to be performed between the dates of May 1 and July 1.
- High school diploma required; Associate’s degree preferred
- The Communications/Administrative Assistant is a part-time employee of VSUMC and reports directly to the pastor. Only the pastor or the Staff Parish Relations Committee may change the conditions of employment.
- As an at-will employee, he/she or VSUMC may terminate this employment at any time with or without notice and with or without cause.
- Satisfactory completion of a criminal background check is required.
- Applicant must provide proof of education.