Getting Started

How do I Apply for Aid?

We advise students to submit the Free Application For Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as soon as possible. This is an annual process with a new application available October 1 each year.

School YearTaxes UsedFAFSA OpenApplicable Terms
2023-2024202110/1/2022Fall 2023, Spring 2024, Summer 2024

*You will need the following tax documents (if applicable) to complete a FAFSA:

  • 1040
  • W2(s)
  • Schedule(s) 1,2, 3, C, E, F

-If you are the student and are dependent (Per FAFSA/Department of Education guidelines), you’ll need your taxes (if filed) as well as taxes from your parent(s).

-If you are the student and are independent (Per FAFSA/Department of Education guidelines), you’ll need your taxes (if filed) as well as taxes from your spouse (if now married but filed separately).

If you have gotten married since filing your taxes and you are completing the FAFSA application, you will add tax information from both your taxes as well as your spouse’s taxes to complete the application.

Some funds may be limited and are distributed to eligible applicants on a first-come, first-served basis. For example, the State of Illinois Monetary Award Program (MAP) has limited funds. Students are encouraged to file the FAFSA as soon after the opening date as possible.  Returning MAP awardees have a priority filing for FAFSA prior to December 1.

Step 1

Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and list JWCC (School Code 012813) as your school of choice. The FAFSA may be completed online at You will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) from the Department of Education.

Students will need an FSA ID to file a FAFSA. If considered a dependent of parents at least one parent will need a FSA ID as well.  If you already have a FSA ID you will not need to acquire a second one but use existing. Here is additional information regarding the FSA ID.

Step 2

Log into your SOLAR account to view and complete any additional outstanding requirements (i.e. verification, appeals, etc.).

Step 3

Allow at least seven business days for processing. After that check your student email account or your SOLAR account for status updates or notifications.